Re: Wrong type in part-combiner.scm

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Wrong type in part-combiner.scm
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2020 18:58:51 -0400

On Oct 5, 2020, at 12:02, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:

> Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> writes:

>>> I'll take a look.
>>
>> I think this has been taken care of by
>> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/427 ?
>
> That deals with the symptom.  It doesn't address the meaning of
> raw-voice becoming #f.  The changed function is now more robust against
> different input, but I have no idea if the different input constitutes a
> bug.
>
> So it would be good if Dan checked whether the current behavior is the
> desired one.

[Moving discussion to lilypond-devel.]

After some investigation, I'd like to ask the other contributors some questions
because I don't see very strong reasons to go one way or the other.

A. Should context-specific music with no music inside it create the context or
not?  Right now, it doesn't.  I'm slightly in favor of changing it because it
would allow reverting David's recent fix and one of my earlier ones and it
seems that it might raise fewer questions; however, changing this would have
some consequences (item B and perhaps others).

B. Which conditions should trigger the "no music found in score" warning?  Are
the cases in input/regression/no-music.ly working as desired?  Would it be a
bad change if \new Voice {} were considered music?  If that were a problem,
maybe we could broaden the test to warn about music with no duration (grace or
main).

Your thoughts?

Regards,
—