Re: @url vs. @uref

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: @url vs. @uref
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2020 15:52:50 +0200

Am Freitag, den 16.10.2020, 15:46 +0200 schrieb Michael Käppler:
> Am 15.10.2020 um 23:03 schrieb Werner LEMBERG:
> > > we're using both `@url` and `@uref` commands in our documentation,
> > > the overwhelming majority is `@uref`.
> > >
> > > michael] ~/lilypond/Documentation/en (master)]> git grep '@url' | wc
> > > -l
> > > 9
> > > michael] ~/lilypond/Documentation/en (master)]> git grep '@uref' | wc
> > > -l
> > > 622
> > >
> > > The functionality is exactly the same:
> > > https://www.gnu.org/software/texinfo/manual/texinfo/html_node/_0040url.html
> > >
> > > I'd like to unify this. Shall we go with `@uref` to avoid big diffs
> > > and because it is already the majority, or use `@url` what seems
> > > more intuitive to me?
> > Since this is a pure mechanical change that can be done by a little
> > script I favour a change to `@url` everywhere.
>
> Here you are:
> https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/462

As commented there, this is the absolutely worst moment to post such
mechanical change with no merit (as far as I understand): This will be
a real nightmare of merge conflicts when picking commits between master
and the to-be-created stable/2.22.

quote: "note that it would be helpful to avoid large-scale changes"

Jonas