Re: [RFC] Automatic 'make check' in CI

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: [RFC] Automatic 'make check' in CI
Date: Sun, 22 Nov 2020 09:38:32 -0500

On Nov 22, 2020, at 07:55, Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:

> . . . had some concerns about Spanners that were dismissed on
> the basis that there was no test case that showed wrong results (is
> that really our standard for claiming that a change works correctly?!).

To be fair, there are things in this program that are complicated enough that
it's unclear how to reach a specific state.  On the other hand, there are areas
where existing tests cover the basics but give less attention to boundary cases
and interactions between features.

Demanding that a reviewer produce a test case is a faux pas where I come from
(midwest U.S. and Canada).  A productive response would be something like this:

    I spent half an hour trying to create a test case to address
    your concern.  The closest I got was . . . .  That doesn't
    quite cover it.  Do you have any suggestions?  If not, I'd
    like to move forward with this patch.

Regards,
—
Dan