Re: probable guile-1.8.9 release

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: probable guile-1.8.9 release
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 2021 09:56:19 +0100

Am Montag, dem 11.01.2021 um 11:06 +0100 schrieb Michael Käppler:
> Am 11.01.2021 um 10:58 schrieb Thomas Morley:
> > Hi,
> >
> > please have a look at
> > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/guile-user/2021-01/msg00026.html
> >
> > Cheers,
> >    Harm
> >
> Could this probably include Han-Wen's recent fix regarding GC?

My understanding is that the fix is ABI incompatible with earlier
releases of Guile 1.8; at least I get
$ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/code/guile/install/lib/ ./out/bin/lilypond -dhelp
./out/bin/lilypond: Symbol `scm_i_master_freelist2' has different size in
shared object, consider re-linking
./out/bin/lilypond: Symbol `scm_i_master_freelist' has different size in shared
object, consider re-linking

This is because scm_t_cell_type_statistics, the type of the two
symbols, changed size (got bigger), and this is usually a no-no for a
minor bugfix release. I'm not saying this makes sense (AFAICT these
symbols shouldn't be public), but it's the current situation and the
bugfix would require relinking all objects depending on the library.

Jonas