Re: Permission to utilise lilypond code

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Permission to utilise lilypond code
Date: Fri, 29 Jan 2021 15:40:32 +0000

On 1/29/21, 12:12 AM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Daniel Xu"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+carl.d.sorensen+digest=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
nxu231@aucklanduni.ac.nz> wrote:

    Hey there,
    I love your program and love the output that your software creates and I
    made a program to automatically transcribe music with your program, GitHub
    link here:
    https://github.com/Pookie-Cookie/music-transcription
    Since the program requires lilypond to work I had to move the entire
    lilypond installation into the working directory and as such before I
    commit this change and potentially plagiarise your work, I was wondering if
    this is ok to do and in essence distribute your software on your behalf as
    it is a core part of my code (though unlikely as it is just a side project
    for myself).

If your project is licensed under GNU GPL3, you have the right to incorporate
LilyPond in your project, according to the license terms of LilyPond.

If your project is not licensed under GNU GPL3, and you do not compile your
code with LilyPond, but just use an unmodified copy of LilyPond in a specific
directory of your file tree, you can still include LilyPond in your
distribution according to section 4 (if you are distributing source) or section
6 (if you are distributing object code).

You may not add any additional restrictions to the license for LilyPond as it
is included in your project.  LilyPond is and must remain free software under
the terms of GPL3.

Thanks for asking,

Carl