Re: Parsed object should be dead

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Parsed object should be dead
Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2021 19:55:36 +0100

Am Samstag, dem 06.02.2021 um 13:33 -0500 schrieb Dan Eble:
> Did something change in the past couple of weeks to make "Parsed
> object should be dead" messages more likely?  Now that I've turned
> from documentation back to development, they seem to be getting in my
> way much more than they used to.

The warning got more "correct" with:

commit e73cf1a7b2ce72d488afef8083b933c9fb6ebc36
Author: Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwenn@gmail.com>
Date:   Sat Jan 30 10:34:22 2021 +0100

    Make -ddebug-gc-object-lifetimes more robust

and now warns if any object is leaked. Before only one object was
reported per smob type and it was basically luck if that was ignored
because of the session or reported as "should be dead". The problem is
tracked at https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/issues/6079 and there
Han-Wen found that objects are reported this way if the first file of a
forked process contains variables. My understanding is that this issue
exists since the introduction of sessions, the only thing that changed
is that it now gets properly reported.

Jonas