Re: Stacked extensions in harmonics

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Stacked extensions in harmonics
Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2021 14:39:40 -0800

On 2021-03-01 1:26 pm, Valentin Petzel wrote:
Hello,
I have modified the Ignatzek-ChordNameFunction to allow for stacked Extensions (as they are usually used in jazz notation). This is done by specifiying a boolean context property stackedChordExtensions, and can be used in such a way
as shown in the Example.

So I want to ask you all if you think if this functionality should be merged into standard lilypond, and if you spot anything that should be improved.

This is a great improvement, since often horizontal space is limited
for chord names.

Would it be possible to support customized bracketing?  I imagine
parentheses are the most commonly used, but I could see some folks
wanting square brackets or possibly none at all.

Apologies for the second reply here, but I just spotted another thing.

Your default vertical alignment of the alterations works for one or two, but when there are three, this extends below the default chord name. This causes all chord names on the line to move upwards. I prefer my chord names to be as close to the staff as possible, mainly because I follow lead sheets and need to be able to read the lyrics below the line and still see the chord names at a quick glance. Granted, I rarely play songs with such *rich* chords, but it might be good to have an option that always ensures alterations extend upwards.

-- Aaron Hill