Re: [translations] Re: Working repo

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: [translations] Re: Working repo
Date: Fri, 05 Mar 2021 15:25:20 +0100

Am Donnerstag, dem 04.03.2021 um 19:34 +0100 schrieb Jean-Charles
Malahieude:
> Le 04/03/2021 à 18:55, Jonas Hahnfeld a écrit :
> > [...]
> >
> > MRs to the translation branch won't work because there are no CI
> > pipelines defined, but I've configured GitLab to require that prior to
> > merging. So far, we've mostly continued with the practice that
> > translators have access to the repository and just push the translation
> > branch.
> > Now that we have the MR system fleshed out and sufficiently fast
> > runners, I think it might be time to retire the translation branch:
> > Translators would open regular MRs that are merged to master, but
> > outside of the countdown process. That would also allow "outside"
> > contributors to work on the translation more easily (cf. !668).
> >

> Even if outside the countdown process, these MR should IMHO still be
> reviewed or specifically "tagged" and maybe translators prefix their own
> branch with Doc-LL when pending for a while (it took me more than a week
> for polishing !671). The CG will have to be adapted.

Sure, we'll need proper procedures. For example, we could have a label
Patch::translation to keep these MRs out of the countdown. However, I'm
not sure how much "review" is appropriate since the translator is
usually the one who can judge best (especially if already part of the
team = push access). Regarding branch names, are there multiple
translators working on the same language? How do they synchronize at
the moment?

> > The more immediate problem right now is that Savannah is ahead of
> > GitLab, so once somebody pushes to GitLab the synchronization will fail
> > because branches cannot be force-pushed to Savannah. Given the issue
> > with overlong lines, maybe it's best to reset Savannah's translation
> > branch to the commit on GitLab? I can do this manually if nobody
> > disagrees.
> >

> Please go ahead.

Done, translation on Savannah now equals the branch on GitLab. I have a
copy of the Hungarian translation locally, should that be needed.

Jonas