Re: \fixed and \relative

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: \fixed and \relative
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2021 06:01:13 -0700

On 2021-03-18 5:24 am, David Kastrup wrote:
So "a feature I would like \fixed to have" is more a function of
persuading a significant majority that your interpretation of \fixed f''
is clearly the best for the sake of all users.

I would hope I made a good initial argument already. But to add to it, such proposed behavior would be backwards compatible providing folks currently follow the convention to only use C as the note name. And even then, convert-ly probably could change any existing incorrect usage to the appropriate form using C as the note name. The trick would be knowing what \language the user has set so that "do" gets used when appropriate.

And then you still need to think about how to implement it.  That's not
trivial either.

At a quick glance, this could likely be nothing more than comparing pitch step numbers. Anytime a pitch whose octave is to be adjusted has a lower step number than the reference pitch, you need to shift up one more octave to compensate for the scale starting on a different note. Something I have not investigated is how the reference octave is currently being stored. If it is just an octave number, then additional data will need to be persisted so the proposed \fixed could work.

-- Aaron Hill