Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: State of LilyPond with Guile 2.2
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 10:39:47 +0200

Am Mo., 19. Apr. 2021 um 08:42 Uhr schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de>:

> > ## Error-handling:
> > consider the typo in
> > {
> >   \override NoteHead.after-line-breaking =
> >   #(lambda (grob) (ly:grob-set-property! grob 'stencil poit-stencil))
> >   b1
> > }
> > with guile-1 one gets:
> >
> > While evaluating arguments to ly:grob-set-property! in expression
> > (ly:grob-set-property! grob (quote stencil) ...):
> > atest-106.ly:1064:5: Unbound variable: poit-stencil
> >
> > with guile-2.2:
> >
> > Backtrace:
> > [...]
> >
> > ERROR: In procedure %resolve-variable:
> > Unbound variable: poit-stencil
> >
> > A little too heavy...Can this be reduced?
>
> So you mean without the backtrace?

I think the backtrace is not helpful for an average user, is it
possible to enable/disable it optionally?
But the in-file-location _is_ needed, missing with guile-2, though.

> > (2)
> > If I switch to a different branch, with changed .scm-files, do some
> > work there and then switch back (NB in this branch the scm-files are
> > _not_ changed inbetween) I need to recompile guile, a real nuisance.
> > Could this be improved?
>
> I'm not sure I understand this: Do you mean the .scm files from Guile
> itself, or the .scm files from LilyPond? If the latter, do you mean
> "recompile" with GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1?

I noticed it while testing compiled guile-code. In a break I manually
bisected the cause for #6120
For this task I switched to my build-directors with guile-1.
Afterwards back to the guile-2 build-directory.

Maybe a minimal example demonstrates it better than any explanation:
In lilypond master:
$ /home/hermann/lilypond-git/build-guile-2-2-6/out/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox
$ git checkout release/2.22.0-1
$ /home/hermann/lilypond-git/build/out/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox
(Some error occurs, ignore)
$ git checkout master
$ /home/hermann/lilypond-git/build-guile-2-2-6/out/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox
->
GNU LilyPond 2.23.3
;;; note: source file
/home/hermann/lilypond-git/build-guile-2-2-6/out/share/lilypond/current/scm/lily/lily.scm
;;;       newer than compiled
/home/hermann/lilypond-git/build-guile-2-2-6/out/share/lilypond/current/guile/ccache/2.2-LE-8-3.A/home/hermann/lilypond-git/scm/lily.scm.go

Obviously, it's not seen that unchanged master is indeed unchanged.
Thus a new round of GUILE_AUTO_COMPILE=1 is needed.

Cheers,
  Harm