Re: \numericTimeSignature works on Staff level?

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: \numericTimeSignature works on Staff level?
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 20:16:01 +0200

Le 27/05/2021 à 16:18, Lukas-Fabian Moser a écrit :
Hi,

\numericTimeSignature works on Staff level - it has been this way since its first introduction by Graham Percival in 2008 (929abcd11cf5305b0929e5ca75b12ffee9f57785). As a consequence,

\version "2.22.1"

<<
  \new Staff {
    \numericTimeSignature
    \time 2/2
    s1
  }
  \new Staff {
    s1
  }

generates

What's the rationale for this behaviour (rather than making \numericTimeSignature act on Score level)?

By default, setting \time command affects all simultaneous staves, and I can't think of a reason why one should want "4/4" in one staff and "c" in another.

When there is no conceivable rationale, either the code has a flaw or it is too obscure. I tend to agree with your assessment that \numericTimeSignature should by default act on Score level like \time does.

Of course there are polymetric situations where simultaneous numeric and non-numeric time signatures might be desired, but that's a comparatively rare use case, and if am moving around the Timing_translator anyway in \layout {}, I can also set Staff.TimeSignature.style manually.

I think you want to make \numericTimeSignature work the same way as \cadenzaOn, on whatever context the Timing_translator gave the Timing alias to.

\version "2.23.3"

numericTimeSignature = \override Timing.TimeSignature.style = #'numbered

music =
<<
  \new Staff {
    \numericTimeSignature