Re: MIDI time signature

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: MIDI time signature
Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2021 02:14:04 +0200

David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

>> In my scores that use 6/8, I've already specified the beat as "4.", e.g.
>>
>>   \time 6/8
>>   \tempo 4. = 64
>>
>> so I don't understand why it would be important to have an
>> alternative that is interpreted the same way.
>
> It isn't interpreted the same way.  If you transfer that file to a MIDI
> arranger, it contains time signature information that will result in a
> wrong display of bpm and a wrong display of metronomic counting.

Well, it turns out that my arranger in general is offended at 2/2 and
will not count in half notes even if the time signature code is correct
(essentially it turns 2/2 with 90bpm into 2/4 with 180bpm and both beat
count and measure count then rush through at double the actual speed).
It will count in quarter notes and in eighths, but anything else is
apparently work of the devil.

Sigh.  But it probably cannot do harm to get this right anyway.