Re: SMuFL name mapping update

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: SMuFL name mapping update
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 2021 06:11:58 +0000 (UTC)

Hello Owen!

> Instead of an Excel sheet, I've prepared a somewhat janky GitHub
> Pages site here: https://wolfgangsta.github.io/emmentaler-bravura/.
> It includes my current opinions on what glyphs should match up
> where, and indicates possibly contentious decisions.

Aah, *much* better, thanks!

> So, please--if you're interested, if you'd rather not let some
> mistake of mine make its way into our font--give it a look and tell
> me what you think (even if you think it's all good).

Somme comments.

* Number sets: Since LilyPond uses the same glyphs for time
  signatures, figured bass, and fingerings, we probably have to map
  the Emmentaler glyphs to all SMuFL sets, irrespective of the size.
  In general, I think that size issues are only to be considered if
  the size matters *in context* (for example, '22' vs. '2²').  AFAICS,
  this is not the case here.

* Regarding Stockhausen accidentals: I agree with your conclusions.

* Regarding the other accidentals: I think this deserves a discussion
  with the SMuFL people; at least for me, the given SMuFL descriptions
  don't suffice to come to final conclusions – maybe they have a
  database with more information?

    Werner