Re: SMuFL name mapping update

From: Owen Lamb
Subject: Re: SMuFL name mapping update
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2021 18:46:07 -0700

Hi Werner,
* Number sets: Since LilyPond uses the same glyphs for time
   signatures, figured bass, and fingerings, we probably have to map
   the Emmentaler glyphs to all SMuFL sets, irrespective of the size.
   In general, I think that size issues are only to be considered if
   the size matters *in context* (for example, '22' vs. '2²').  AFAICS,
   this is not the case here.

That's what I thought at first. The issue is that SMuFL requires all glyphs to be scaled to the same unit staff space already. It doesn't ask notation programs to handle sizing on their own. If we were to map our current glyphs to all three number sets, we'd have non-LilyPond programs outputting comically large fingering and figured bass numbers by default. I personally think that leaving the smaller sets unassigned, letting programs handle the missing glyphs as they wish, is a far more graceful failure.

If we really don't want tofu, one solution I can think of is to give Emmentaler a second set of number glyphs, reusing the code that generates our current set, just at the proper smaller scale (taking into account stroke width, etc.). That new set can then be mapped to fingeringX and figbassX, leaving our current number set mapped to timeSigX.

* Regarding the other accidentals: I think this deserves a discussion
   with the SMuFL people; at least for me, the given SMuFL descriptions
   don't suffice to come to final conclusions – maybe they have a
   database with more information?

Good idea. I just sent a message to the public-music-notation mailing list at W3C.

Owen