Re: Cairo

From: Knut Petersen
Subject: Re: Cairo
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 2021 01:35:22 +0200

Hi everybody,

For those who are interested: here is an updated version of my cairo patch.

Cairomm is not used any longer. Fonts are opened via freetype, so all kind of
glyphs should print fine ... I hope. Most postscript procedures from
music-drawing-routines now have cairo equivalents,  I expect that the
requirements of most simple scores are met.

If we kick out ghostscript the \postscript markup will die a lonely death. We
could introduce a \cairo markup command instead....

If we kick out ghostscript \epsfile probably will be kicked out too, we
probably need to implement a \pdffile command (and for that we'll need poppler).

Kicking out ghostscript completely means that a significant amount of work
would be needed to adapt building of our documentation.

SVGs can be generated via cairo,  ...  PNGs can be generated via cairo ... the
same is true for a lot of other file formats.

What will happen to the --pspdfopt options? It's not clear if similar
functionality can be implemented via cairo.

Comments?

Knut