Re: Capitalized text

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Capitalized text
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2021 08:21:54 -0400

> On Jun 28, 2021, at 06:03, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
>
>> Le 27 juin 2021 à 21:19, Dan Eble <nine.fierce.ballads@gmail.com> a écrit :
>>
>> I am working on a grob for section labels.  I want to recommend that the
>> user encode the section name in title case (Coda), but I want LilyPond to
>> render it in all caps (CODA) by default.
>
> Could you elaborate? Isn't setting the label through a property just as
> simple? (I don't have the technical background on your work.)

There will be some of that too, but I have something more general in mind.

    a b c | \sectionLabel "Coda" d e f |

"Coda" is just an example.  It could be "Intro", "Refrain", "Part 2", etc. It
could appear anywhere.

I also would like to provide a sane adaptive default for D.S. instructions
mentioning these labels.  For example, if a user codes \sectionLabel "Outro" at
the appropriate point of a \repeat segno, I want LilyPond to use "D.S. al
Outro" without having to be told anything else.  Emphasis: I don't intend to
try to handle all cases correctly automatically, but to provide a default that
works for Coda, has a chance of being acceptable for other names, and is at
least consistent even if it isn't acceptable.

If the user had to code \sectionLabel "CODA" for the sake of the section label,
then the D.S. formatter would have to recapitalize speculatively to avoid "D.S.
al CODA".  I might be willing to implement that, but it is less appealing than
recommending that the user capitalize as "Outro" and use grob properties to
remap case.

If the user had to code \sectionLabel "OUTRO" for the sake of the section label
and then had second thoughts about the style, restyling would require a search
and replace rather than just changing a grob property in a "house style"
include file.

> I vaguely recall Coda in small caps. Is all caps Gould advice?

In _Behind Bars_, p. 239, all letters are capital and have the same height.
I'm not knowledgeable enough about fonts to tell whether this is all caps or
small caps.

SOLO/TUTTI on p. 467 look similar.

Character labels on p. 470 look similar and Gould explicitly calls them "small
capitals," here, but again all letters have the same height.

> I am not aware of it being implemented. You'd not want to call string-upcase
> on the property directly since that would only work on strings, not any
> markup. text-interface.cc already does string replacements, so uppercasing
> should fit there.
>
> HTH

TH.  I plan to try enabling small caps and adding the option to transform to
*lowercase* in text-interface to avoid a larger "C" in "CODA".

Thanks,
—
Dan