Re: Hosting a FUDforum on lilypond.org

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Hosting a FUDforum on lilypond.org
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2021 22:59:25 +0200

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 2:25 PM Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
> I was able to install it on a local Apache server. In my
> experiments, I encountered some issues when trying to post to
> the lists via it [13], but only with one SMTP server; another
> was fine. The rest of the functionality worked correctly. Thus,
> FUDforum appears to be a potential solution. And I do not see
> other solutions currently. I therefore propose to try it out
> for real.
>
> The big question is: where to host it? There is lilynet.net,
> administrated by Valentin, but he's been busy in the past
> year, so he might not want to take that blame. Before I buy
> a domain, how about lilypond.org? That would make it more
> of an official community space and more discoverable for
> newcomers.
>
> Han-Wen (administrator of lilypond.org if I understand
> correctly), and all, what do you think?

If someone wants to take on the task of administering a forum, I could
setup a DNS entry for forum.lilypond.org.

However, the fact that all these forums have fallen over also holds a
lesson: hosting content is work, because it needs moderation, and
dealing with all the things that can go wrong when you have users
(hijacked accounts, spam, GDPR/cookie wall etc.).

Also, the security record of fudforum doesn't have me impressed:
* https://www.exploit-db.com/exploits/40803
* https://www.cybersecurity-help.cz/vdb/SB2019111508

The facebooks and reddits of this world are experts at running
messaging platforms. Should we really spend precious developer time on
running a message board? I know I won't.

--
Han-Wen Nienhuys - hanwenn@gmail.com - http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanwen