Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold

From: anthony
Subject: Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2021 11:12:19 +0100

On 25/09/2021 10:19, Lukas-Fabian Moser wrote:

Just as a counter-point, while I'm a light user / copyist, I don't think I've EVER used repeat unfold, while repeat percent happens a lot.

I actually quite like the "\x16 d8" idea as a shortcut, but what I'm saying is don't think it's a good idea, just because YOU do it a lot. Other people may have completely different work patterns ...

Yes of course, and LilyPond is a great tool for all different kinds of work patterns. But it's not a question of making one job easier for the price of making others harder, in which case your argument would be more relevant.

But is it a case of making a niche case easier, when the same trick could be used instead (mutually exclusive) to make the common case easier?

IS unfold the best candidate? Just because the OP makes extensive use of it, doesn't mean everyone else does. I'd rather it was percent, but I suspect I genuinely am a minority.

To give an example: The fact that I never (so far) needed/used guitar tabulature isn't an argument against improving work experience for people who do. As long as no-one proposes syntax changes that make guitar tabulature easier and figured bass harder, I'm very happy if the support for guitar tabulature improves.

But what if more people would benefit if that tweak were applied to figured bass, rather than tablature?

Cheers,
Wol