Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Shortcut for \repeat unfold
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 00:12:00 +0000

On 9/28/21, 5:51 PM, "lilypond-devel on behalf of Dan Eble"
<lilypond-devel-bounces+carl.d.sorensen+digest=gmail.com@gnu.org on behalf of
dan@lyric.works> wrote:

    > On Sep 24, 2021, at 19:32, Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> wrote:
    >
    > Other possibilities:
    >
    > - "\rep n music", not as self-telling (and I think Lukas
    >   only calls his shortcut \rep because redefining \repeat
    >   is not syntactically valid);
    > - "music * n", attractive but the difference between c1*5
    >   and { c1 } * 5 would be confusing; also, for longer passages
    >   one would rather state the number of repetitions from the
    >   start than having to remember to put it at the end;
    > - "\* n music", very short but doesn't read as nicely I think,
    >   and I don't view repeats as special enough to warrant
    >   this kind of syntax with many special characters.

    > Thoughts?

    28x { d a b fs | g d g a }

Looking at the code, I'm not sure about the implications, and I haven't built
it to test.

Would
    28 x { d a b fs | g d g a }

Work with the current MR?  I would much prefer if we could allow white space
between the repeat count and the x, because white space is very seldom crucial
in lilypond syntax.

Thanks,

Carl