Re: Scheme performers/translators

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Re: Scheme performers/translators
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2021 15:11:33 -0700

On 2021-09-29 12:39 pm, David Kastrup wrote:
The question is whether we should do something like this as default,
possibly conditioned on whether any acknowledgers are present?  Because
even if we cannot react to Midi data structures (since they are not
Scheme-accessible for now), sometimes a translator may be enough to do
the trick.

You say "for now" above, so is allowing Scheme to interact directly with the MIDI stream something that is planned? Between what you have just shown and the work that already occurs in articulate.ly, it seems a lot of practical manipulation is possible without going down to the MIDI layer. So, your little patch to enable wider use of Scheme translators seems quite useful. At the very least, the more folks build on this and start playing around with the music, the more we would understand what a potential full Scheme performer support would entail.

-- Aaron Hill