Re: Issue difficulty tags (was: Manipulating instrument names and staff

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Issue difficulty tags (was: Manipulating instrument names and staff group names)
Date: Sun, 7 Nov 2021 14:45:05 -0500

Hi Jean,

> The problem for both of these is that often,
> investigating what the bug is and how it
> might be fixed is the main part of the work.
> So if you have a good idea of what language
> is required and how hard it is, you're
> close enough to a fix that it's worth it
> to actually prepare the fix.

On the other hand, for someone like me, with [relatively] limited knowledge of
either the languages involved *or* the current codebase, perhaps just
investigating the bug to the point of tag-ability might help me climb those
learning curves…?

> I don't think we can do much better than tagging easy issues.

Well, that basically solves my main problem, so can we start there?

>> The obvious alternative to all of this is for me to have an assigned “mentor”
> Would that motivate you?

Not really… I was just offering another mechanism that might help ensure that
my contributions ultimately match my intention and enthusiasm.  ;)

> I started with what I was interested in/competent enough with.

Well, I’m happy to do that, too… but fair warning: that’s likely to lead to a
lot more “syntactic sugar” patches rather than bug fixes.

> ask about what you have in mind,

Obvious “low-hanging fruit” [at least from the perspective of motivation]: I
want — nay, need! — the part combiner to Do The Right Thing™: effectively
unlimited voice inputs, no problem with quotes and lyrics, etc. etc. etc.

> and any sort of mentor can tell you
> if it sounds feasible for a beginner.

Well?  ;)

Thanks!