Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 2021 16:09:20 -0500

Hi again,

>> But it would seem better to let the parser do the work by having the
>> function accept a ly:duration? directly.  Certainly, it would be easier to
>> use:
>> %%%%
>> \timeII 3 4.  % logically \time 9/8
>> %%%%
>
> I considered a separate function, but rejected the idea for several reasons
> (backwards compatibility, incompatibility with “stylesheet” mentality, etc.).

hmmmm…

Thinking about it a little more, I realize that (a) there really isn’t a
backwards compatibility issue *unless* I change \time itself; and (2) as long
as \timeII outputs TimeSignatureMusic, “stylesheets” will still apply fine
across all TimeSignatures [regardless of what function creates them].

So: In your opinion, would adding a new function be superior overall to
“improving” the existing \time function?

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer (he/him/his)
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info