Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2021 13:21:09 -0800

Yes, this is what I would expect.

What could possibly be the motivation for anything else?

They are all just time signatures.

I suspect they would have to be one function, because how else would you
combine the two?  Each denominator could be either a number or note.

4/4 + 3/4
6/8 + 1/{2}
1/{8.} + 2/4
2/{4} + 3/{8.}

\compoundMeter #'((4 4) (3 4))
\compoundMeter #'((6 8) (1 {2}))
\compoundMeter #'((1 {8.}) (2 4))
\compoundMeter #'((2 {4}) (3 {8.}))

or

\compoundMeter #'((4 4) (3 4))
\compoundMeterSecondUsingNoteDenominator #'((6 8) (1 2))
\compoundMeterFirstUsingNoteDenominator #'((1 8.) (2 4))
\compoundMeterUsingNoteDenominators #'((2 4) (3 8.))

> > I’m not sure whether I’m waiting for others to move this discussion
> forward…?
> >
> > Assuming I’m not:
> >
> > 1. In *my* mind, the optimal situation *from the user/UI perspective*
> > would be to have a single public interface
> >
> >    \time BLAH FOO BAR etc.
> >
> > which would gracefully and transparently handle all possible time
> > signature demands: simple and compound sigs, all possible
> > “denominator” representations, beat structures, etc. My first question
> > in this regard: Am I wrong [from the user/UI perspective]? I totally
> > get that it may be unadvisable from the programmers’ perspective (and
> > for sure from backwards-compatibility perspective, etc.) — my question
> > here is more one of Lilypond programming philosophy.
>
> Personally, I don't see how making it hard for the computer to figure
> out what of a myriad of variants in meaning is intended makes it
> reasonable for the user to see what is intended.

No, the point would be to first devise something that users can understand.

If users can understand it, it is possible to get the computer to do so.

Not the other way around.

Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "*Confusion is
highly underrated*"
elaine@flaminghakama.com
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist ~ Educator