Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: TimeSignature with note in denominator
Date: Sat, 13 Nov 2021 21:13:45 +0000

On 11/13/21, 1:00 PM, "Kieren MacMillan" <kieren@kierenmacmillan.info> wrote:

    Hi Carl,

    Thanks for weighing in!

You're welcome

<snip>

    > we could not tell the difference between 8.~8 and 8~8., although I can't
imagine how the difference between these two representations would be
important; both represent a duration of 5 eighth-notes.

s/eighth/sixteenth/   *facepalm*

    3/16 + 2/16 != 2/16 + 3/16   ;)0

I get that.  How would that show up in the music?  I guess in beam subdivision?

    > I'm not sure that it's worth changing the internals since they work so
well for the lilypond core functionality (traditional western music)

    I fear you’re correct… but I do love that I’m not the only one that hasn’t
totally given up the dream.

Well, it's not really a dream of mine -- I'm really a pedestrian musician.  No
modern complexity stuff for me.  But I also *love* the fact that in nearly
every case, LilyPond tries to capture the semantics, not just the display.
That's one of LilyPond's strengths.  And it wasn't until I saw all this
discussion happening that I recognized the semantic disconnect here.

Thanks,

Carl