Process clarification regarding branches, merge requests

From: Aaron Hill
Subject: Process clarification regarding branches, merge requests
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2021 10:00:17 -0800

I should state that I only have experience with GitHub, so I might mix up terminology when trying to map things to GitLab.

Is there a preference whether development branches should be created on the repository itself versus a forked copy? What I am used to on GitHub is working from my own fork, creating branches as needed, and then submitting a pull request that can be merged when validated and approved. I see some merge requests for the project are coming from branches within the origin repository. Is this a policy thing or something where GitLab just fundamentally works differently than GitHub?

-- Aaron Hill