Re: MIDI title?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: MIDI title?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2021 21:30:56 +0100

Aaron Hill <lilypond@hillvisions.com> writes:

> On 2021-11-19 11:28 am, David Kastrup wrote:
>> What are other people's feelings here?  Should we allow an explicit
>> specification of the title as "" to override such a fallback?
>
> Could it work to add a midiTitle property/field to allow users more
> control?

Already there.  It's "midititle" though I think.

> The default behavior when midiTitle is not specified could still be to
> inherit the \header title

Already done.

> or generate one based on the file name when title is unset.  If a user
> really wants no title in the MIDI, they would explicitly set midiTitle
> to #f or "".  The idea here is that a zero-length string is
> special-cased to result in no emitted title, which works around the
> compatibility issue you described.

I am not sure how common that issue is.  It's at least on the
Solton/Ketron MS80 and MS40 but they are somewhat related.  But if it is
not set at all, I think it reasonable to not send a title (likely
needing a refactoring) or possibly use the filename (most convenient for
me but not necessarily for others).