Re: spacing/breaking with header considered separate from music

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: spacing/breaking with header considered separate from music
Date: Thu, 25 Nov 2021 20:54:30 +0100

Hi Kieren,

Le 25/11/2021 à 16:02, Kieren MacMillan a écrit :
Hi all,

I've always wanted Lilypond to have the following (related) abilities:
   1. Consider header and music separately in the spacing/breaking
calculations; and

Could you say a bit more? In what respect would
they differ? What kind of settings do you want
to achieve?

   2. Be able to force systems-on-first-page separately from systems-per-page
[et al.].

Sounds like a reasonable feature request. Alternatively:
a setting to define how many systems the global title
counts for.

Obviously the equivalent behaviour can be accomplished "manually", as I've done
in my scores through a tedious combination of bookparts, edition-engraver injections,
etc. I'm just inquiring about whether an automagic solution is possible.

In very high-level terms (e.g. "it would touch these general areas of the code;
difficulty = x/100"), what would be the scope of the work involved to make this kind
of control possible?

The page breaker is the single one area I've
always been afraid of looking at :-)  It's all
C++, the algorithms are not entirely trivial,
and it is very performance-sensitive.

Regards,
Jean