Re: Problems with mingw build

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Problems with mingw build
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2021 15:33:50 +0100

Am Montag, dem 20.12.2021 um 10:05 +0100 schrieb Michael Käppler:
> Am 16.12.2021 um 10:24 schrieb Jonas Hahnfeld:

> > > That is not the case.
> >
> > Ah yes, please install the more modern "pkgconf", not "pkg-config".
> > That's why I provide a list of packages that I tested with in the form
> > of an Ansible playbook...
>
> Well, it was not obvious for me that "pkgconf" is different from
> "pkg-config"...

Yes, it's unfortunate that Ubuntu has (conflicting) packages for both
of them and that the newer pkgconf (which was originally meant to be a
drop-in replacement for pkg-config) now supports more features that are
actually used in the wild...

> > > I think I found the related issue here:
> > > https://github.com/fribidi/fribidi/issues/156
> > > and see also
> > > https://github.com/fribidi/fribidi/pull/151
> > >
> > > Since we do not use the 'meson' build system for fribidi this fix
> > > would not help, right?
> >
> > Right. I think I chose the configure way of building because it was the
> > recommended one? But maybe I'm confusing this with some other projects
> > saying that their Meson support is still experimental.
>
> They phrased it in a rather neutral way:
> "Start with running the autogen.sh script and follow the instructions.
> Alternatively use meson."

Okay, then we may switch to meson, even though the initial commit for
build support with Meson noted: "Cross-compilation is of course also
supported, but has not been tested yet for this build." (see
https://github.com/fribidi/fribidi/commit/a991b009b11fb791a9217af23659b092eb45377e
) I don't see any fixes after that, which may either mean that it "just
works" or that still nobody tested it. What I want to avoid here is
fighting issues with the dependencies' build systems, I think there are
more productive ways to spend our time...

Jonas