Re: LilyPond | Various doc issues (!1095)

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: LilyPond | Various doc issues (!1095)
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2022 16:45:38 +0100 (CET)

> Le 05/01/2022 14:04, Thomas Morley <thomasmorley65@gmail.com> a écrit :
>

> Am Mi., 5. Jan. 2022 um 13:28 Uhr schrieb Jean Abou Samra
> <jean@abou-samra.fr>:
> >
> > [Replying via the mailing list because it's unrelated to Werner's MR]
> > Le 05/01/2022 12:59, Thomas Morley (@Thomas_Morley)
> > <gitlab@mg.gitlab.com> a écrit :
> > [1]Thomas Morley commented on a discussion on
> > [2]Documentation/en/notation/notation-appendices.itely:
> > Unrelated to this patch
> > Though, [3]@jeanas
> > They do. You might be confused by the change of presentation
> > Indeed, I was wrong. Alas, in IR the former behaviour added to every
> > interface:
> > This grob interface is used in the following graphical object(s):
> > list-of-grobs
> > Now
> > This grob interface is added dynamically to grobs of class
> > Spanner/Item.
> > is printed.
> > I miss this list-of-grobs in the docs now.
> > Any chance to get this back in the IR for item/spanner-interface or
> > have this list somewhere in IR linked from thoe interfaces?
> > That is feasible if we define what it means to be "used": basically
> > should Footnote be included in this list or not since it will sometimes
> > have it and sometimes not? Should grobs having the interface
> > conditionally be in a separate list? The info on _allowable_ classes
> > (and thus interfaces) is all in define-grobs.scm, it's just a matter of
> > defining how it should be presented.
> > Cheers,
> > Jean
> > References
> > 1. https://gitlab.com/Thomas_Morley
> > 2. https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1095#note_801886836
> > 3. https://gitlab.com/jeanas
> IIuc, only 5 grobs may be item _or_ spanner:
> BalloonText
> ControlPoint
> ControlPolygon
> Footnote
> Parentheses
> All others are definitely Items or Spanners.
>
> If so, then I'd suggest to have three lists to link to in IR: Items,
> Spanners, Items-or-Spanners

In what section of the IR would be the list of
items-or-spanners though? Currently they all
have the sticky-grob-interface, but it's an open
bet whether they will continue to be characterized
by an interface in the future because other use
cases can be found (e.g. perhaps we would want to unify
PercentRepeat and DoublePercentRepeat?). Maybe rather
list them in spanner-interface and item-interface?

"""
This interface is used in in the following graphical objects: Foo, Bar, Baz

In addition, this interface is conditionally supported by the following
objects: Footnote, BalloonText, etc.
"""