Re: Stepping down from Patch Meister role

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Stepping down from Patch Meister role
Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2022 09:20:34 +0100

On 2022-01-08 03:06, James wrote:
Hello,

I am going to stop doing the Patch countdown at the end of this month.

I'll continue for the next few weeks, but my last countdown will be whatever the last date in January ends up being.

Thanks for your understanding.

Since James took over from me when I left the fold six years ago, perhaps I can return the favour now. Fair warning: I left at the start of what seems to have been a period of significant change, so I'm rather out of touch with current terms ("patch" as I knew it is now "merge request"?). With some coaching, and lashings of patience from the devs, I'm willing to take it on.

Awesome!

Yes, there has been quite a bit of change to the
processes used in the project. We are now hosted
on GitLab (instead of SourceForge and Rietveld).
“Merge requests” are here:

https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests

You can find issues in the same place.

There is also a Continuous Integration (automated
testing) system that runs make, make check and make doc
on every merge request. This no longer has to be done
manually or by Patchy. The test results are found in
a link at the bottom of every make check run. When a
developer passes on the merge request (whether the author,
the Patch Meister or someone else) and finds the tests
to look good, they can paste screenshots in the merge
request (for easier review) and advance it to Review
(tagging with the appropriate label on GitLab,
Patch::review). The Patch Meister is the only one to
advance to Patch::countdown and Patch::push.

I think these would be the main differences in the
countdown process, but I wasn't there six years ago.
You may want to read the current CG, which normally
should be up-to-date with these processes.

By the way: glad to meet you!

Cheers,
Jean