Re: Comments wanted on code highlighting in PDF output

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Comments wanted on code highlighting in PDF output
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2022 18:33:34 +0100

Le 21/02/2022 à 17:42, Luca Fascione a écrit :
Looks lovely to me.

I notice the inline source is not highlighted, is that on purpose?
(say 2.1.7, page 23). A lot of other text I've seen seems to use the same
highlighting patterns for running code as well as display boxes of code,
esp given the fonts you picked are so regular in the weight, wouldn't it
look better?

As with the syntax highlighting in HTML output that was
already added (https://gitlab.com/lilypond/lilypond/-/merge_requests/1019,
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2021-12/msg00107.html and other threads),
this is not straightforward to achieve. The problem is that
the Texinfo source uses @code for anything that should
appear in typewriter font. Not all uses of @code are for
LilyPond input. 'git grep -o "@code" | wc -l' will give you
an idea of the amount of effort that would be required to
introduce a distinction ...

Also, often we use @var inside @code, resulting in italics,
to denote variadic parts (e.g.: "The syntax of @code{\relative}
is @code{\relative @var{pitch} @var{music}}, where @var{pitch}
is ..."). If italics were used for fixed syntactic elements,
there would be confusion between the two uses.

Best,
Jean