Re: Quotes around \consists argument?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Quotes around \consists argument?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2022 10:28:55 +0200

Jean Abou Samra <jean@abou-samra.fr> writes:

> Well, one reason is that this enables the documentation highlighter
> to highlight engraver names in a special color/style picked based on their
> nature of engravers (purple in HTML, italic bold in PDF), whereas
> between quotes they are just strings.
>
> I observed the same with Emacs, Vim and jEdit.

I find that there is a host of inconsistency not just with \consists.
It's also there with \name, \alias, \defaultchild and others.  My gut
feeling for those is mostly "ugh" to see them without quote,
particularly \name :  it seems somehow wrong to see stuff without quotes
that has not previously been defined.

On the other hand, we don't write

"variable" = 20

either.