Draft plan for next stable release

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Draft plan for next stable release
Date: Sun, 07 Aug 2022 21:02:07 +0200

Hi all,

back in May, I proposed the idea to have a next stable release before
the end of the year and there was generally agreement in the replies:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2022-05/msg00099.html

The following is a proposal of a possible timeline; I don't expect this
to be final and if there are good reasons, I think we can and should
change it. I'm trying to take some of my availabilities into account,
let's see how it works out...

(I don't have time to do a release next weekend, August 13/14)
Weekend of August 20/21: LilyPond 2.23.12
after: build freeze; no changes to configure, Makefiles, and release/
scripts allowed unless there are very good reasons

Weekend of September 10/11 OR 17/18: LilyPond 2.23.13
(depends on my availabilities, I will have to see)

During week of September 19-25: Branching stable/2.24 unless some
really big problems are reported

[ branch is frozen, no new features or syntax changes; master is open
again for development and I will pick fixes into the stable branch;
translation work continues on the branch and I'll synchronize back to
master during the releases ]

Weekend of October 1/2: release candidate LilyPond 2.23.80

Weekend of October 29/30 OR November 5/6: LilyPond 2.23.81

End of November or begin of December: final LilyPond 2.24.0; or, if
needed, additional release candidate 2.23.82 (in that case hopefully
rather November and then final release around mid December)

Comments?

Jonas