Re: Draft plan for next stable release

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Draft plan for next stable release
Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2022 23:06:15 +0200

Le 07/08/2022 à 21:02, Jonas Hahnfeld via Discussions on LilyPond development a écrit :
Hi all,

back in May, I proposed the idea to have a next stable release before
the end of the year and there was generally agreement in the replies:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2022-05/msg00099.html

The following is a proposal of a possible timeline; I don't expect this
to be final and if there are good reasons, I think we can and should
change it. I'm trying to take some of my availabilities into account,
let's see how it works out...

(I don't have time to do a release next weekend, August 13/14)
Weekend of August 20/21: LilyPond 2.23.12
after: build freeze; no changes to configure, Makefiles, and release/
scripts allowed unless there are very good reasons

Weekend of September 10/11 OR 17/18: LilyPond 2.23.13
(depends on my availabilities, I will have to see)

During week of September 19-25: Branching stable/2.24 unless some
really big problems are reported

[ branch is frozen, no new features or syntax changes; master is open
again for development and I will pick fixes into the stable branch;
translation work continues on the branch and I'll synchronize back to
master during the releases ]

Weekend of October 1/2: release candidate LilyPond 2.23.80

Weekend of October 29/30 OR November 5/6: LilyPond 2.23.81

End of November or begin of December: final LilyPond 2.24.0; or, if
needed, additional release candidate 2.23.82 (in that case hopefully
rather November and then final release around mid December)

Comments?

By the way, Owen, are you reading this thread? Basically, if
you want SMuFL support integrated for LilyPond 2.24, the approximate
deadlines to be expected are above.

Also, speaking to Han-Wen, if we are to have a build system freeze
around August 20, Cairo support for the official 2.24 binaries is
now or never. Unless we consider there are very good reasons for
bypassing the freeze for Cairo?

Thanks,
Jean