Re: "Hymn template" snippet

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: "Hymn template" snippet
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2022 08:12:51 -0400

On Aug 9, 2022, at 07:40, Trevor <t.daniels@treda.co.uk> wrote:

> A comma is the standard way of writing a breathing point in vocal music. It
> is used extensively in Hymns Ancient and Modern, New Standard. Gould writes
> on page 436 in the Vocal Music chapter: "When a note should be sung for its
> full duration, with extra time for the breath, add a comma above the stave -
> this adds a short pause to the bar in which it occurs." No mention here of a
> caesura.

"The comma (𝄒) or diagonal-stroked caesura 𝄓 indicates that a note is sustained
for its full value, then extra time allotted for a short break in sound"
(p.187).

> If you change this snippet to use a caesura and render it as a comma in this
> section of the NR ("Chants, Psalms and Hymns") that would be OK I suppose
> (although \breathe seems the appropriate LP command), but "//" is definitely
> a no-no. I've never seen that in a hymnal.

\breathe takes time from the preceding note and \caesura adds time after it.
Which is better for this example?

The engraving is configurable.  Note that Gould's "comma above the stave" is
something different than what \breathe currently engraves (see p.189), and
something I plan to support.

Also, what about the bar lines?

Thanks and regards,
—