Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 04:38:56 +0000 (UTC)

>> {
>>   c'1
>>   \mark \default
>>   \repeat segno 2 {
>>     c'1
>>   }

> The marks that \repeat segno creates are intended to identify points
> of repetition and departure for performance.  Having one of those, I
> do not understand why one would want to identify the same point with
> a second mark for rehearsal.

Just imagine a piece (say, a waltz by Johann Strauss[*]) that has not
a single segno, but a bunch of them.  It might confuse an orchestra if
the conductor asks to start 'at the segno' during a rehearsal – from
experience I can tell you that at least one musician will ask 'which
one?'...

In other words, it actually does make sense to have both rehearsal
marks and segno signs at the same position.

    Werner

[*] A concert waltz by Strauss normally consists of an introduction,
    five (sub) waltzes, and a finale/coda.  In German this is called a
    "Walzerkette".