Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment

From: Dan Eble
Subject: Re: Can't have rehearsal mark and segno mark at same moment
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2022 07:54:27 -0400

On Aug 10, 2022, at 00:38, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> wrote:

> Just imagine a piece (say, a waltz by Johann Strauss[*]) that has not
> a single segno, but a bunch of them.  It might confuse an orchestra if
> the conductor asks to start 'at the segno' during a rehearsal – from
> experience I can tell you that at least one musician will ask 'which
> one?'…

Then that score is not an example of using a segno and a rehearsal mark at the
same point.

It is an example of ambiguous segni, and stacking rehearsal marks on top of
them addresses only half of the issue: the D.S. instructions remain ambiguous.

> In other words, it actually does make sense to have both rehearsal
> marks and segno signs at the same position.

Between preparing caesura-related MRs, I will try allowing a rehearsal mark to
occur at the same point as the other types of marks.  Maybe now, after having
spent some time away from it, I will see other ways to do the things that made
me implement the restriction in the first place.

I would like advice on whether it would be ideal to split Mark_engraver into
Rehearsal_mark_engraver and Performance_mark_engraver.  I recall that my
primary reason for keeping them all together originally was a concern that we
might discover interdependencies between different types of marks that are
easier to manage with one engraver in charge, and I thought it would probably
be easier to start with one and split it in a future release than to go the
other way.
—
Dan