Mixed chord/note mode

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Mixed chord/note mode
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2022 22:04:16 +0200

We had this discussion a longer time ago, with chords and notes
conflicting in that : is used for tremolo notation, too.

Now I've had the idea that _inside_ of < > we don't need to notate
durations and thus < c: > would be unambiguous.

Of course the reality is that :8 is not part of the duration but a
separate tremolo event that is interpreted by the Stem_engraver .  It
can be entered even inside a chord but is ignored there.

One can also write things like

trem=:8

{ c \trem }

Ouch.

Now never mind the inconsistency: as we don't _need_ stem tremolos
inside of chords, I'd lean towards hijacking colon there in \notemode .
Strictly speaking that is an incompatibility, in practice I consider it
very unlikely that anybody used this for entering stuff that is not
typeset by default.

Chord modifiers are a bit of a puzzlement to figure out later, but
something like <c:> would (I think) be a major chord, <c:m> a minor
chord and so on.  With regard to positioning and inversions, I'd lean
towards interpreting the octave information in this entry mode: that
makes it feasible to mix chords and single notes without ambiguity.

Polychords?  Would want weeding out duplicate notes.

This is just a handwaving sketch about entry; conveying information to
the chord namer would remain an open issue at first and may possibly be
better tackled in the context of integrating the pending GSoC chord
work.

Does that sound reasonable/useful/whatever ?