Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Thu, 5 Jan 2023 15:55:13 +0100

> Le 5 janv. 2023 à 14:24, Werner LEMBERG <wl@gnu.org> a écrit :
>
> Indeed, but the manuals as a whole, in all languages, get also
> distributed, and there it *does* make a significant difference IMHO:
> Right now, the PDFs in `lilypond-2.24.0-documentation.tar.xz` (which
> has a size of 170MByte) need 144MByte in total (uncompressed).
> Multiply the latter by four...

To me, it matters even less in the doc tarball because that is something you
will only download once per release.

>> also wonder how people actually use the PDF manual. It's very big to
>> print out, and compared to the HTML manual, unwieldy to use on
>> screen.
>
> In the HTML manual it is not possible to zoom into the images.  While
> the resolution of the PNG images is OK in general, there are sometimes
> situations where a non-pixel graphics format would be very beneficial.

Here is something we will be able to improve eventually thanks to Cairo, by
embedding SVGs instead of PNGs. The current SVG backend is not good enough for
that (slow, doesn’t embed fonts).