Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: Missing items to make Cairo ready
Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2023 21:53:46 +0100

On Fri, 2023-01-06 at 23:19 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2023 at 10:19 AM Jonas Hahnfeld <hahnjo@hahnjo.de> wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2023-01-04 at 12:52 +0100, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> > > Regarding versioning: the 1.x to 2.x transition was motivated by
> > > radical syntax changes that necessitated converting and 'manually'
> > > verifying the .ly files. Since Cairo vs. Ghostscript doesn't affect
> > > the semantics of .ly files, I think we can continue the 2.x version
> > > number. As a practical example, page layout was introduced in 2.4, and
> > > direct to PostScript only became default in 2.6; both changes are much
> > > more invasive than what we are discussing here.
> >
> > Regardless of what has been done in prior versions, it seems to me the
> > cleanest solution still is to remove a number of markup commands that
> > we cannot or do not want to support with Cairo. We know some are used
> > in existing libraries and scores, so this constitutes a breaking
> > change. What exactly is your argument for *not* going to version 3.x in
> > that case?
>
> I don't think there is value in removing markup commands. When we drop
> the PS backend, folks that use \postscript or \epsfile can do
>
>   lilypond --ps foo.ly && ps2pdf foo.ps
>
> rather than
>
>   lilypond foo.ly
>
> and have their scores mostly work. We don't need to remove support for
> this, ever. Since this doesn't break backward compatibility, I don't
> think we need a major version bump.

For me, this meets *exactly* the definition of a backward
incompatibility: Something that used to work (just running lilypond
foo.ly to get a PDF) doesn't give the expected result anymore.
Furthermore, I'm not a fan of recommending two different ways of
creating PDFs to users (once directly via Cairo and once with ps2pdf),
unless we really, really have to.

I can also buy Werner's arguments about a fundamental change, and I
would use the jump to advertise as such, but for me the purely
objective reason are backwards incompatibilities that we *will* have
when going to Cairo.