Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support

From: Jonas Hahnfeld
Subject: Re: RFC: require librsvg to implement SVG image support
Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2023 14:08:20 +0100

On Sun, 2023-01-15 at 13:40 +0100, Jean Abou Samra wrote:
> - Since Poppler's build system is CMake, we have to write a different
>    class inheriting from Package alongside ConfigurePackage and
>    MesonPackage, and figure out how CMake needs to be invoked and
>    with what environment variables. From my point of view, this is
>    more complex.

Maybe, hard to tell without actually trying. In any case, this is a
one-time, short-term complexity that needs to be solved; I still don't
understand why this is "more burdensome on the long-term", whereas
current Rust projects tend to require very recent versions of the
language (see below), so this will potentially cause problems on every
version update.

> > > By the way, I checked the version of CMake in CentOS 7. According
> > > to https://pkgs.org/search/?q=cmake, it's 2.8.12, while the minimum
> > > required CMake version for building current versions of Poppler
> > > (I checked the latest release, Poppler 23.01.0, as well as master)
> > > is 3.16.0. Thus, either way, we'll -- unfortunately -- have to accept
> > > that some tools needed to run a build need to be installed outside
> > > of the distribution.
> > That's not true, we can use the version from el7 (which we use for
> > something else already, I forgot which package). This offers us CMake
> > 3.17.5 from the "official" repos (for some definition of "official").
>
> Now, that is interesting. I didn't know about EPEL. According to
> https://packages.fedoraproject.org/pkgs/rust/rust/
> EPEL 7 has Rust 1.66, which is enough for librsvg (Rust 1.63+).
> So that should work, right?

I also saw this, for CentOS 7 probably. However, even the latest Ubuntu
22.04 LTS and 22.10 provide "only" Rust 1.61, the next release 23.04
*may* have Rust 1.63 and that's not even the latest version...