Re: command for 'sequences'?

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: command for 'sequences'?
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2001 13:37:03 +0200

> On mar, 2001-10-02 at 11:37, Rune Zedeler wrote:
>

> > > Do you plan to put it in
> > > next realease (something just like \gacen{d}) ?
> >
> > No, I am quite sure that this will never be implemented in lilypond.
> > If one could just run ly2dvi as a filter then it would be no problem to
> > run it like this, either.
> >
> > > Or must we always use
> > > something like what you discribe here ?
> >
> > Yes, I guess you have to stick with that.
> >

>       OK, maybe it's a silly question but, why ??
>       Is it because it's too hard to do ? (I don't know anything about
> programming, but it's don't seems to be a problem!), or because, if we
> decide to add a lot of this type of macro, lily will be too big / slow ?
>       I don't know how it's work, but can't it be possible too add a second
> "package" with this type of extra feature ?
>
>       In spite of, thank's for this trick.
>               nemo.

It's not difficult to add a feature in ly2dvi to first run the
input files through a preprocessor like m4 or cpp, if there's
a public demand for it. Adding another macro language within
Lilypond, on the other hand, sounds like a silly idea.
In input/les-nereides.ly, you can find an example on how to
use cpp as a preprocessor.

   /Mats