Re: accidentals

From: Rune Zedeler
Subject: Re: accidentals
Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2001 20:44:12 +0200

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

> > cis2 c | cis cis | c cis | cis
> >
> > gives ( § = natural sign)
> >
> > #O §O | #O O | §O #O | #O
>
> I don't understand, why does the last one get a # ? Other than that
> forgetAccidentals should do what you want.

I think it is easier first to understand the reminder version which
results in:

#O §O | #O O | (§)O #O | #O

All accidentals are like normal eccept for the reminder natural wich is
to remind the musician that the cis was a local and not a global one.

The example you quoted is to behave the same way eccept that it produces
real accidentals instead of reminder ones.

You could also explain the algorhithm as simultainously trying to apply
accidentals with and without "noResetKey" - always using the algorithm
resulting in most accidentals.
You may say that this is stupid, but it is seen in loads of pianoscores
- and I find the reminder-version quite usable. (Trying both algorithms,
using the one giving most accidentals, using reminder accidental if the
"noResetKey=##f"-algorithm gave 0 accidentals)

-Rune