Re: Coda and Voice Combining

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Coda and Voice Combining
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2001 00:03:56 +0100

> I'm including my file as an attachment.  Again, this is an example of simple
> concepts not working out so simply with a real life, (read: complex)
> example.
>
> We're trying to set this file up to have an intro line that has no lyrics,
> followed by music with lyrics.  I've tried to set up my file following
> Mats's simple example below.  But, if you run this through lilypond, you'll
> quickly see that something is not working right.

Please read in the manual about the difference between <...> and
{...}.
If you replace \context Staff  = Vocal < ... > with
\context Staff  = Vocal { ... }, Lilypond will typeset the
\Treble and \text after the \Intro, not simultaneously, as you
asked for.

You problaby want the lyrics between the staves, not below the
bass. To get that, add the line
      \context Lyrics = "verse" {\skip 1*100}
before \context Staff = BassStaff {.
It's not critical how long a skip you make, just it's long
enough to keep the Staff alive until the real lyrics begins
but not longer than the total piece.

Finally, you can add a ChoirStaff context to get brackets
for each pair of staves. After these changes (and some fine
tuning the position of the bar numbers), I got the following
\score declaration:

\score {
\context ChoirStaff <
         \context Staff = Vocal {
                  \notes {
                                \key g \major
                                       \time 4/4
                                                \clef treble
                                                        \partial 2

\property Staff.automaticMelismata = ##t

  }

        \Intro

                \addlyrics

                                \Treble