[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: HELP on terms

From: Tim Nowaczyk
Subject: Re: HELP on terms
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 19:14:50 -0600
User-agent: Mutt/1.2i

On Wed, Feb 13, 2002 at 05:28:49PM -0600, Jack Trexler wrote:
>What is the musical term for a piece written in a minor key ending on  a 
>major chord? I would appreciate your help. Sincerely Jack
  If you mean, for example, a piece written in Em, but the piece ends with an E 
major chord, then I believe it's called a picardy-third.

  A practice from the 16th century and the Baroque era of ending a composition 
with a major chord, when the rest of the composition is in a minor key, thus 
giving the composition a sense of finality.

  Tim Nowaczyk

  <>< Truth

reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]