[Top][All Lists]

[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]

Re: Font of lyrics text

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Font of lyrics text
Date: Tue, 09 Apr 2002 15:07:14 +0200

> Hello, All!
> Text of lyrics is typed with "cmr" font by default. How could I change the 
> font of lyrics text?
> I tryed to use
> \property Lyrics.LyricText \override #'font-name = #'cmbx
> If I use "cmbx" fonts, it's OK. But if I try, for example "wncyr" font, 
> LilyPond reports:
> Cannot find any font satisfying
> (wncyr #f #f #f #f 0)
> The font "wncyr" presents in my system, TeX works with it OK.
> How can I fix the problem?

Because of some problems with our mail local mail server, 
I was temporarily thrown out of this mailing list for some
days and missed this thread. Even though you seem to have
found a workaround, I'd like to add some comments.

If you use Lilypond development version 1.5.35 or newer, 
you can use an alternative font without having to make
any changes to font.scm by specifying the full name (excluding
the suffix) of the font file. Example:

\property Lyrics.LyricText \override #'font-name = #"ecrm1000"

A major disadvantage of this method is that Lilypond cannot
help you find the correct size of the font, you have to do
it yourself.

If you use ly2dvi, you still have to edit a line in the 
ly2dvi script since it specifies
which means that LaTeX translates 'ö' into '\"o' which is
the correct thing if you use the standard cmr fonts but not
if you use the 8bit ec fonts as we specified them above.
The solution is either to remove the line specifying the
input encoding (which means that the ASCII value of the 'ö'
is used directly as an index into the ecrm1000 file) or by
adding the line
(which means that the '\"o' is translated into the correct
index used in the ecrm1000 file).

Since Lilypond doesn't understand the concept of character
encoding, i.e. that the symbol number in the font file may
be different from the ASCII value in the input file, you may
get problems with cyrillic and other character sets if your
editor uses another encoding than the corresponding font files.
As long as you set the input encoding and font encoding
correctly in the LaTeX wrapper, you'll see the correct characters
in the output but Lilypond will not be able to determine the
length of each syllable correctly when determining the note
spacing. Also, since the TeX code generated by Lilypond uses
low-level TeX font selection commands, not the NFSS scheme
used in LaTeX, you have to assure that the font file you 
specify to font-name matches the font encoding you specify
in the LaTeX file header.

Of course, the problem is even worse for languages requiring
multibyte characters. 

address@hidden said:
> > Usually I don't try to typeset Title, poet, composer and so on via
> > lilypond. It is often necessary for me to make a plain text and a music
> > fragments side-by-side in single document (such as music manual or
> > analytic article). For my puposes it is more convenient to work in a way
> > described below: 
> That is what lilypond-book is for.

> > Of course. lilypond-book does almost the same work OK. My method is my
> > personal preference only. It is a little more convenient, if the same
> > pieces  must be contained in article as well as in musicbook.

I hope you have seen the possibility to include external .ly files
in lilypond-book:


I don't really see what you cannot do with lilypond-book that
you can do better using your manual procedure.


reply via email to

[Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread]