Re: Weird beaming problem with major seconds

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: Weird beaming problem with major seconds
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 11:09:45 +0200

Chris Lipe <address@hidden> writes:

Hi Chris,

> offbeats the resulting harmony between the two is a second.

Well, there lies the problem.

> This produces some very odd beaming results.  I've attached a sample
> measure so you can see.  Do you know a) if this is a bug and b) if
> there's a workaround?

You're using the partcombiner to combine the threads into one voice,
or split them into two voices, as appropriate.  The partcombiner
decides whether to split or combine the voices based on rhythm and the
interval between the notes.

The default interval for which threads are combined into one voice is
(0 . 3).  Now, your piece of music alternates between intervals of
6 and 1 -- that's where it goes wrong.  You must decide how you want
to get your threads split, and set splitInterval to a sane value (for
this snippet anyway).  See below.

Greetings,
Jan.

FluteI = \notes \relative c''' {
  [aes8-\p( f] [aes f] [aes f] [aes )f] |
}

FluteII = \notes \relative c'' {
  [bes8-\p( ees] [bes ees] [bes ees] [bes )ees] |
}

\score {
  <
    \context Staff = flutes
    <
      \clef treble
      \time 4/4
      \property Staff.instrument = "Flute 1,2"
      \property Staff.instr = "Fl 1,2"
      \property Staff.midiInstrument = #"flute"

      %% the default -- won't work
      %% \property Staff.splitInterval = #'(0 . 1)

      %% empty split interval
      %% \property Staff.splitInterval = #'(0 . 0)
      %% big split interval
      \property Staff.splitInterval = #'(0 . 6) % #'(0 . 1)

      \context Voice=one \partcombine Voice
      \context Thread=one \FluteI
      \context Thread=two \FluteII

  \paper { }