Re[2]: GSview problem

From: Jérémie Lumbroso
Subject: Re[2]: GSview problem
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:12:23 +0200

MB> The best would be if we had some more regular
MB> Windows user taking care of this part, I have access to a
MB> Windows partition where I can try the installation but never
MB> use Lilypond regularly in Windows. Jérémie did a great job
MB> on initiating this page.

Well, if this can wait for me to slowly pick back up, I do it
gladly... The problem was that at some point, I met some seriously
upsetting obstacles, and since my project is professional (in the way
that it's to be commercial, not in the way that it's going to be
good!), I couldn't afford to wait for development.
Most of the limitations I was complaining about have been fixed (I'm
especially talking about things like the rest placement and the
vocify function, etc...), others have not (figured bass isn't quite
done yet, etc...) but it's sufficient for me to continue work.
I just need a few weeks (a month?) to really get back into it. I hope
you can wait, if not... Temps pis!

I also have to mention that I have Linux installed on this machine,
but it's SUCH a pain to boot on it, that I've abandonned using it, and
thus stopped following the development. It's VERY annoying to have to
bother some of you to downgrade things from 1.5, when I'm sure you
could be doing plenty other things... That's why I was kind of waiting
for 1.6 too.

As for the GhostScript, and viewers... I personally think yap should
be dropped. Either those developpers (excuse me) have absolutely no
desire to produce quality software, or they weren't aware that their
program is being publically distributed. I've been used with Lilypond
to have very available programmers, who'd try to correct any found
bug. I don't know if my bug reports (probably *our* bug reports) have
been ignored or not received...
So *.dvi output, for Windows users, is out until xdvi is gets ported
to cygwin. But I think I'm not telling you anything you didn't already
know.

Now, the Ghostscript output. Here, I'd have to tell I was truly glad
to have some sort of viewer for Lilypond output. Of course PS is the
professional output format. This one edition house asked me to send
sample pages of my work in (E)PS format, for them to print out and
judge. I'm saying that they're all the same, put I'm guessing that
most of them do it that way.
I've been amazed at how often GSView/GhostScript becomes an issue
here. It probably comes from the fact that it's bundled. Each time
I've installed GS7 with the latest GSview, I have never had any
problem. I'm guessing GSView automatically scans the registry to get
the path of GhostScript, and thus having no problems running it. Why
don't we link to those packages. Realistically, it's better to
distribute a recent package, rather than an older one just because
there's an annoying nag screen at the launch... FYI, there are two
ways to get rid of it.

--
Jérémie Lumbroso