Re: Lilypond 1.5.60 for Windows

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: Lilypond 1.5.60 for Windows
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2002 18:00:46 +0200

> The file I am sending has been already modified. I am not sure that the
> comment I made about notes in the wrong octave was right, I discovered an
> error in a change I did that trigerred a wrong melody move and fixed.
>
> But I still see differences with the behavior of 1.4.xx. The main one  I see
> is in the vertical aligment of things.  For example, the fingering notation
> in this file, looks bad now where it looked nice before. Another similar
> situation I have found is with the supercripts in the chord notation e.g.
> A7, the seven ends up to high. But the fingering thing is the most intriging
> since, it took a lot time to make look nice, now I have to re-do it somehow.

I see! You have actually tweaked many parameters to make the score
as compact as possible and still making it look well in 1.4.xx.
In order to keep full compatibility of such a score would
unfortunately make it impossible for the developers to improve
the default layout. However, I notice that the default direction
(above or below the stave) of fingerings has changed a bit.
I don't know how much of it is actually intentional, but to me
it makes sence to put fingerings above the stave as much as
possible, which seems to be what 1.5.xx does.
You could set the default direction explicitly using

\score{
  \paper{
    \translator {
      \ScoreContext
      Fingering \override #'direction = #-1

but that will not give the same result as you had before,
either. However, if you explicitly specify the direction
(using ^ or _ instead of -) for some more fingerings, you'll
get a result that's more compatible to previous and future
Lilypond version in this particulare example.
In general, though, I prefer to make as few such detailed
layout instructions in the .ly files as possible, leaving
the layout work to Lilypond, possibly changing some
overall layout issues by changing the padding of fingerings,
text scripts and so on (a better alternative than using
lots of mi^""^"Largo").

   /Mats