Re: small print

From: Simon Bailey
Subject: Re: small print
Date: 05 Jul 2002 14:50:32 +0200

On Fri, 2002-07-05 at 14:43, Han-Wen wrote:
> ok, I get it. The thing confusing me is that Stich (verb: stechen) is
> also the German word for engraving (i.e. the traditional process of
> music printing.)  In that sense every note is a Stich-note.

i can see where that could be confusing. "Stich" can also mean "hint" or
"suggestion". It is however hardly ever used as a single word, but only
in context, as in "a hint of red", or "a suggestion of commonness".

further meanings to "Stich" also include:

1. [insect] sting, [mosquito] bite, [needle] prick, [knife] stab
2. piercing or shooting pain, stitch [sports]
3. stitch [sewing]
4. (Kupfer~, Metall~) engraving
5. tinge, shade, hint, suggestion
6. [cards] trick

enough boring stuff from the house of madness... :o)

greetings,
simon.
--
Confucius say, man who live in glass house shower in basement.